Multiple studies have found that children in foster care are vulnerable to inappropriate or excessive use of psychotropic medication. Advocating for and presiding over cases involving children and teens in foster care who may have mental health disorders requires a solid understanding of the positive and negatives aspects of medication use in this population.
The ABA Center on Children and the Law is therefore pleased to announce the release of "Psychotropic Medication and Children in Foster Care: Tips for Advocates and Judges" by JoAnne Solchany, PhD, ARNP.
The Brief addresses:
* common child and adolescent mental health diagnoses
* a multimodal approach to managing mental health disorders
* the benefits, drawbacks, and side effects of psychotropic medications
* recommendations for best practice, and
* questions judges and advocates should ask about medication use.
The Brief is free and available online here.